Tuesday, April 19, 2011

An aversion. I has one.

The two things I chose to work on when we were all choosing our new writing goals were motivation and risk taking. Already, I have been lacking in trying to work on making myself better at these things since I haven't written anything since Saturday, and what I wrote on Saturday wasn't for my blog. But the thing is, I haven' so much not been motivated to write as much as I haven't been able to thing of anything to write about that would help me with my risk taking as well. (And then there's the fact that most of my motivation for story writing has ended up being more comic oriented than literature oriented.) Then yesterday, I got the idea to make a list of things I tend to avoid when reading, writing, or even having a conversation. I started the list yesterday, and I noticed a pattern.

This is my list:
1. Love
2. Relationships in general
3. In depth emotion
4. My future
5. Myself in general

I think this means I have either an emotion aversion, or a personalization aversion. Either way, I think I just found out why I like zombies so much.
I think this puts me in a really tough spot though, because it looks like the topic of my next project is going to have to be something relating to love, and I know the one thing I am not EVER going to do is write a romance story. Ever.
I would very much like some help with coming up with some other way I could work on risk taking please.

2 comments:

  1. Wel, I appreciate your honesty in being really open about what you have aversions to. It is so normal to have an aversion to the ideas you brought up in your list because they are stressful, and raise tremendous anxiety in teens. So, why not look to taking risk in another way? Risk doesn't mean you have to be uncomfortable in a personal way, just outside your comfort zone as far as what you can and can't do. Whenever we attempt a task we have never done, that is risk taking, so let yourself go in another direction if necessary. Good luck! And way to tackle your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you don't necessarily have to write a romance story. you can just write one about yourself. Also if it helps, you could write about yourself but as someone else. That way you can have a loophole to the aversion without it really getting in the way in the first place.

    ReplyDelete